Thursday 18 November 2010

Magpie Tales#41

I use this week's prompt from the indefatigable Willow to continue the contest with my estranged husband Caddoc Trellis.  (Oops. Did I say "estranged"? Sorry, "strange" is what I meant . . . )



Witching Hour

Five to XI! (*) I brush my pointy hat
and sandpaper the splinters off my broom-
stick some eyes of frogs and blood of newts,
that sort of thing, into my portmanteau
and take a trial spin around the room.

(Wheeeeeeeeee! Out through the open window!)

The stars look down. The baleful Moon is full
of craters just like husband Caddoc's face.
I'll strafe his Shed with Witching Dust I've made
from ground-up bones and condiments to taste.

(That'll hexxxxxxx the poor old git.)

My Witching Dust's a Truth Drug. Just one sniff
he'll spill the beans. That "Trellis Fencing" blog
authored by "Cad" who I suspect is Caddoc -
he'll own up, just like falling off a log.

(Caddoc!  Are you in there?  Come out and fight!)

Drifting smoke suggests he's frying wee dead mice
in batter. And he thinks that I'm the witch!
Perhaps we should join forces. Combined spells
could lure a Gardener back to an Old Bitch . .  ?
He's such a softie. (So am I at heart.
Perhaps, perhaps we could make a fresh start . . ?)


(Coooeeee!  Caddoc  . .  all could be forgiven . . . )


(*) Pronounce as "five to ex eye", or "five to eleven"  
Either suits the "pentameter" reasonably well. Schimples!

19 comments:

  1. Oh, take me with you on this witching hour adventure ... I can't sleep and this sounds like the potential for great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had fun reading this! :) Found the Freudian slip (estranged instead of strange) really funny, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the pentameter; well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're beginning to melt, Ada. I look forward to the romantic happy ending - but only if you promist to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever teach first grade?

    Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I am cruising the Magpie Tales I always look for you. You never, ever, ever disappointment. Winter is just around the corner you go and get the hunk Caddoc and make some lovely love potions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughing. It could work, then where'd you be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thingy . . . I know exactly what you mean! How we Little Ones quailed when our Ada Equivalent whacked her boxwood ruler on her desk . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all top show - we know you love him really. Who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see your forgiving nature coming to the fore there Mrs T...

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, no reconciliation, please.
    Keep on fighting, Mama and Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very nicely spun...a litte bewitchery cant be too bad...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs T...why the urgency? Perhaps your clock is ticking, your heart yearning for the pitter patter
    of little feet? Perhaps not?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're creating sparks that are lighting up blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun! Love the wheee, wee, and coeee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, but what the spells do hold, quite the bewitching tale... Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete