Monday 6 December 2010

Senior Citizens' Bus Tickets

The prompt on this week's Poetry Bus invites busboarders to write a poem, preferably fun-laden, based on the name of their "local" Ours is called "The Cad and SchoolMarm."  This is obviously untrue, but it's more interesting than "The King's Head" or the "Pig and Whistle."  So here goes.

The Cad and SchoolMarm

Sir Jasper was a thorough cad.
The SchoolMarm was a virgin.
(I bet that all my readers think
the rhyme will be "no urgin' ")

In fact, the SchoolMarm slapped his face
and told him "Sling yer hook!"
(I bet that all my readers think
the end-rhyme will be "luck")

Sir Jasper tried it on again.
She thumped his underbelly.
How could he know he'd taken on
Ada T. of Abergele.

For Ada's faithful to her lad.
A wholly different breed of Cad.
Caddoc

As this will prove...

If you see this pub sign
then you may think of me,
for sure, I am a lemon,
as many will agree.

Sometimes I am acid
and can give people the pip,
but only when I'm grumpy
and start to lose my grip.

Otherwise I'm jolly
and a very happy fellow.
(Why don't you ask Ada,
if she thinks I'm mellow?)

But Hairy is no longer
something which I claim -
I wonder, now I'm Baldy,
will she love me just the same?

16 comments:

  1. Got you in my sidebar now. Quite a unique love story?
    As a Canadian, "hook" doesn't conjure up the expected. Thankfully, I'm a big "Corrie" fan, so I have no trouble working it out.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read this in a Welsh accent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Excellent :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bracketed asides make it for me. Full of fun as usual

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come hook rhymes with luck? book, look, rook, fook.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Viv . . "oo" words always give rhymsters trouble because there are so many differing regional pronunciations. Not far from Abergele lies the wasteland of south Lancashire where "hook" is a perfect rhyme for "luck" The further north you travel in that benighted county, the longer does the "oo" become and the rhyme no longer . . . er . . . rhymes with the "f" word. Etc. We blame the BBC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then I think some people (including Trellissimo) need to go and see a speech therapist, or something...

    Their pronunciation is decidedly questionable...

    Luck, Duck, Muck, Suck, etc (!) are in no way meant to be pronounced the same as Hook, Crook, Look, Took, Nook.

    The only similarity between luck and hook is the final letter k.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Ang on, "ang on! Trellissimo is quite correct. Where I come from - the wastelands of South Lancashire - "luck", "look" and "hook" have EXACTLY the same vowel sound. 15 miles further North, "luck" remains "luck" but the "oo" in "hook" etc has lengthened so the word is no longer a rhyme for "luck"
    Remember, the UK is full of strange folk who would argue that "bath" does not rhyme with "math" because they pronounce it "barth", and these same weirdos pronounce "castle" as an almost perfect rhyme for something quite fundamental.
    When in Rome, speak as the Romans do, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Mrs & Mrs T in your new bloghome- I like this discussion which seems to be blooming!

    What about the Queen's Enlish, says I?

    You tell Trellissimo and Doc FTSE from me,
    us southerners say it's 'bahth' not 'barth' or 'baath', and I agree with Cad, 'ook' and 'uck' are poles apart.

    And 'Castle' sounds like 'ka-sell', nothing fundamental there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! Queen's English can be different from Queen's Spelling when I am typing on her behalf...

    ReplyDelete
  11. an actual hairy lemon pub? quite frightening. Clevery pome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't mean to sow discord in the Trellis love nest. However you pronounce either word is OK by me. Keep up the good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From what I can tell, Vivinfrance, you do not need to plant discord seeds in the Trellis love nest - the occupants already have a flourishing plant of that genus without your help!

    ReplyDelete