Friday 28 January 2011

My Winter Journey

Willow's prompt for Magpie#50 led me down strange pathways.  I was trying out the snowshoes husband Caddoc gave me for Christmas when signs and portents appeared in the sky . . . .

Nothing Ventured...

Whose woods these are I do not know.
My house is somewhere...  Down below
lies Abergele, straight ahead.
I'll take this Scenic Route instead!

My husband Cad must think I'm queer
To walkies take this time of year
past swamps and woods and frozen lake -
But Ada Trellis knows not fear.

But soon my legs began to ache
That sky sign? Surely a mistake?
The only sight I've seen for days
are forks in roads I did not take.

The woods are creepy! I don't like
this never-ending country hike
North Wales via Snowdon, Offa's Dyke!
Snow shoes? I need a motor bike!

(Phew! Abergele at last!  Change plagiarism from Robert Frost to Wordsworth)

Earth hath not anything to show more fair
than Caddoc with my brandy. There!
I'll dump my snow shoes in his shed
Take Winter Journeys in my head

in  future.

10 comments:

  1. Ah but the views Ada - the views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ada, Ada! Here's the bottle!
    Swig some brandy - but not a lottle!
    Just enough to warm your chilly bits,
    while we talk - us two old silly nits!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Cad found you safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. snow shoeing thru the woods can be daunting, but look at your reward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You channeled Frost; I channeled Rossetti. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm not much for snow trekking, but brandy sipping, now there's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I think plan B for better, far warner anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A girl, Ada, walked in the snow
    She didn't have too far to go
    She wrote like Bobby Frost
    As she tried to not get lost...
    No more trips for her! No! No!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muhahahaha - great! (and fittingly "Frosty").

    ReplyDelete