Saturday 12 August 2023

WATCH OUT, CADDOC

 Ada's Onto You . . .

In my wee Mini Clubman I went forth today, to shop in Llandudno or perhaps Colwyn Bay.  I drove down the High Street and was leaving the town when I spied an old hat that was wrinkled and brown, perched on the head of a wrinkled old man.  'Twas Caddoc, my husband.  I'll park where I can and follow the varmint. I'll keep him in sight.  I must see what he's up to, something’s not right, some scheme that he hopes will soften me up till I offer the manna from my loving cup. No chance!  I am Ada!  I spurn all romance!

The first shop he entered - a florist, forsooth. He emerged with red roses, I tell you the truth. Thence to Dunn's Hat Shop, the town's only link to his dim, distant past. What must I think? Surely to goodness the silly old bat isn't treating himself to a spanking new hat? A soft grey velour, a deerstalker perhaps?  Whatever it is, it's concealed in a boxWhat next? A fresh haircut? Eye-liner? New socks?  He's planning an attack on my stout bedroom door.  "Avaunt thee, you rascal. You're a mind-numbing bore.'  But give him his due, he really does try. And Ada - that's me - should I laugh? Should I cry?

Forty long years I've resisted his charms.  Maybe next birthday I'll open my arms. 

My response to the Poets and Storyteller's prompt for this week, and my warning to my husband.

10 comments:

  1. Tut, Tut, Mrs.T! Give the old lad a chance. He's doing his best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ada! I must say I sympathise with poor old Cad, Fancy following him in secret, when you must know by now, he's as meek as a lamb, never choosing to row, and abiding by all your fanatical laws which so often see him scurrying outdoors, to hide in his shed!
    Give the lad a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh, you've hurt my feelings...How could life with Ada not cause me more than my fair share of wrinkles? It's a wonder I'm even still alive...

      Delete
  4. I simply LOVE this ... and highly recommend opening those arms .. wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen - Promise me you will have a word in Ada's ear on the subject of opening wide... doors, windows, arms or anything else...

      Delete
    2. Their story - Ada and Caddoc - Mr. and Mrs. Trellis goes back a long way, in. fact. to the day they married and Ada took on the role of wearer of The Trousers. New readers - just keep clicking 'Older Post' below.

      Delete
  5. Forty is too long a time, now give him a place in you heart gal ......enjoyed the saga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream of little else. :-) Thanks for this advice to Ada. I hope she takes it...

      Delete
  6. Ada beloved, I think you need to look HERE to see how I'm watching out, too...

    ReplyDelete