Sunday 20 August 2023

Aroint Thee, Cad!

 No, I don't know what it means, but it's Shakespeare(*), so it must be good. Unlike he of the burnt rice-pudding face and matching hat who is a bit of a curate's egg(**) - good, but only in parts. He thinks food be the music of his love, or something equally daft, but his little ditty fails to impress me.  It's overlaid with foodie metaphors and he's managed to devise a menu of all the stuff I really don't like.  Like marshmallow. Where on earth did he get the idea  . . . oh, never mind.  As I waded through his tripe (where are the onions)(**), I was waiting for some preposterous 'horses for courses' metaphor and an offer of horsemeat for a horse d'oeuvres (**).  Then what?  A main course where I fight off wandering hands like hands of bananas(**) seasoned with imploring glances, a ratatouille(**) of third rate chat-up lines, when all I really want is my feet up, 'Bake Off'(**) on TV and a bag of salt and vinegar crisps.(**)
To say again . . . 'Aroint Thee, Cad. Thou rump fed Runyon.'(*) 

(*) From the 'witches stirring their cauldron' scene in Macbeth,
(**)  'Food' references in accordance with Rosemary's inspiring prompt on 'Poets and Storytellers United.'

13 comments:

  1. Beloved Ada, spare my blushes? How could you mention the word 'rump' in my hearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . you persist in mentioning it in mine! You better stay in your shed a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you two are such fun! I do love all these Shakespearean foodie references.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame Shakespeare for the words:- 'If music be the food of love, play on', and I blame Ada for not appreciating my libretto, back in the day HERE which I composed especially for her...

      Delete
    2. P.S. Ada attended a music festival once, and appears in person, if you look closely at this clip.

      Delete
  3. This back and forth of two poets is such fun. I think he's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you my child! I thank you for your kind words. Ada doesn't have too many when it comes to me....

      Delete
  4. This is fun to read, your repartee. A bag of salt and vinegar crisps while watching the telly is always good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If those crisps are for sharing, count me in! :-)

      Delete
  5. What fun! Your unique way of communicating is like poetry to my ears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I like your commentary and wordplay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Bake Off'(**) ~~ totally hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friendly banter between the two people is most welcomed. A great relief given the conflicts of war we have to put up with in these trying times! Wonderful write Mrs Trellis!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete