Saturday 5 August 2023

Are You Listening, Cad-My-Lad?

This week, the Poets and Storytellers blog asks us to take a fresh look at Clichés.
So here goes . . . a ditty with a sting in the tail (And that’s a cliché for a start!)


JUST SAYIN'

I have no box to think outside.
My plate is never full.
I do not basket all my eggs,
By no horns seize my bull.
There’s not a thing I feel deep down,
Nothing I over-mull.

‘Cad's eye?' My sharp stick longs to poke it,
So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Using clichés is not my wont,
Except ‘I love you’ when I don’t.


'My sharp stick?'  You must be joking!
I keep a quiver-full in my kitchen drawer.



5 comments:

  1. LOL, these are very playful. And the original link taught me some new Welsh words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my Ada spoke them, I bet they were another slur on my character, poor hen pecked hubby that I am...

      Delete
  2. Maybe this was the poem I was supposed to read. Good for you on not using the clichés very often in writing. My tutor, Ted Kooser, says they should not be used in formal writing. Ted's study guide is "The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice For Beginning Poets," I learned a lot but quit at the prose writing section. SecondSale.com has them on sale for 4.95, two left. I didn't stay long enough to see if had to pay postage. I bought mine on eBay for $5.00, postpaid, used but good as new.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every good man needs to be a Handy Man, I agree, and even a footman, won't go amiss if the time is right... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Aha Ada! You will find your sharp stick prodded me into action, so click on the following link HEREto read my reply. :-)

    ReplyDelete