Tuesday 11 October 2011

Retribution!

A reporter and photographer next morning hurried round from "The Abergele Trumpeter", the  local rag. They found  they couldn't speak to Ada, for Cad was home alone, standing in the wreckage. They heard him sigh and groan.
"Tell us what happened to your shed?" <<<Click here to find out!
By now the elephant had fled  leaving  matchwood all around and plum stones thick upon the ground.
"We'd like to take a photograph to give our readership a laugh. The Circus has agreed to pay. You Trellises have won the day! We promise to deliver wood to build a shed where once one stood!"Caddoc, now no longer tearful, greeted Ada. "Now I'm cheerful! I'll end up pictured in the papers because of elephantine capers."



And so Caddoc rebuilt his shed and Ada, watching Caddoc said, "Now what bee is in his bonnet? He's painting lots of mice upon it!"  She waited till he came back in, wearing for once a cheery grin." That will stop the wrinkly beast that thought to make a tasty feast of Trellis leeks and plums and such. My rebuilt shed it will not touch!"

But Ada, puzzled, said "Why not?  Your rebuilt shed has nothing got that heretofore the old one had. Except those painted mice, so, Cad, explain yourself. And make it good. I really never thought I would have to gaze on painted mice, although your brushwork is quite nice."
And Caddoc said, "Why Ada dear, mice alone are what they fear! All elephants will pass us by when mice upon my shed they spy!" But Ada shook her doubting head. "God give me strength!" she sadly said.

With many thanks to Tess at Magpie Tales, who this week featured a painting containing the very newspaper in which this 
happening was reported!
 
 

19 comments:

  1. I'm even now standing on a chair...well actually sitting on it with my feet up...same difference. Love that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoyable visit to the Trelliseseses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good fun. I like the way you carry their adventures on from Magpie to Magpie. WIll Ada and Caddoc be attending the Willow Manor Ball tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... Yes, indeed! We all read about it int eh newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was excellent and fun!! Love your style and it left me grinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trellissimo, this post is muchissimo fun to read. Elephants and mice, how often have they come together in stories? I still smile whenever I picture Ganesha standing on a mouse! Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fun read. I love the rhymes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it's so cute! Nice job, although, I am scared of mice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun read. Thanks for stopping by and introducing me to the trellis mayhem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha! Never thought about a newspaper article approach. Very clever on a difficult prompt! I do adore the "adventures" of Ada and Cad.

    Did you ever find out about "Haint" blue. It is a very southern thing and I've witnessed many a porch and window painted this way in Charleston SC and Savannah GA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margaret - I have indeed! And see, I'd even painted my new shed in one of its lighter shades. How's that for coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad I happened to drop in this afternoon - I saw Margaret's comment about 'Haint blue' and rushed off to do some research for myself. Can you believe it? The whole range of colours I discovered are my favourites too!! Curiouser and curiouser.
    And Cad, I love your mice. I trust you've not seen any elephants since? Especially pink ones?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, that sure was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I think it was a lovely tribute to my "people." More folks should paint our likeness on their property to acknowledge our greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was it worth it, with all those cats hanging around!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trellissimo. I applaud you, and the above comments - never fail to raise a giggle...x

    ReplyDelete