Tuesday 4 October 2011

Plumb Crazy



"What was that noise?" cried Caddoc, awaking with a start. He shook the sleeping Ada, saying "Hark to that, dear heart! There's something in the garden … No! It's not my dreaming head!"  But Ada cried "Why, look you, Cad! We're only just to bed." Cad drew back their bedroom curtain, to see his joy and pride- his 'Safe From Ada' garden shed - was lying on its side.

It had put up no resistance. It had truly had met its match and massive rounded footprints trailed around his cabbage patch. His leeks had been uprooted then cast in haste aside in favour of the juicy plums the intruder had espied. And, squatting on its haunches with a big smile on its face, its curled trunk picking off his plums as if it owned the place "An ELEPHANT!" cried Caddoc, and Ada sighed "What next?" She was used to Caddoc’s teasing, but today she was perplexed, for he sounded so insistent, his tale had to be true...

See, this Houdini elephant hadn’t run off from a  Zoo - but Monty Python’s Flying Circus, in the neighbourhood to entertain the public and astound the great and good, the lowly and the highborn, with acts of daring-do...I’d love to buy a ticket for that show! Now, wouldn’t you?


Thanks to Tess at Magpie Tales for producing an elephant in the room this week!

26 comments:

  1. Fabulous - I especially like the shed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inventiveness seems inexhaustible. Fun as usual, and funny. I guess the marauding pachyderm was an Abergelephant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctor . . you should be sent to live in Rhyl for puns like that. But thanks for the rest.

    Isabel - Cad's shed has a long and distinguished history. Go down through the Older Posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.

    For a moment there Doctor, I thought you'd said an 'Abergele EGGPLANT'...now there's an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. An elephant in the room, to be sure - but it seems to have gotten everywhere! Jollity all the way. A really enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely penned. Fun read, thanks :-) Emanita01

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Trelissimo: May I bring my dead budgie?Chiccoreal

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure looks intimidating - an elephant in the garden. Very unlikely most times, but this time Ada is right! Fun offering!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. once again I am laughing-thanks!
    this reminded me of Thurber's Unicorn in the Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! I will purchase a book of those tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great fun and full of life and character....many thanks for you lovely comment on mine..xx kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. like the thought of your man-cave better known in our household as the shed...of which...we have a few!

    ReplyDelete
  13. like the thought of your man-cave better known in our household as the shed...of which...we have a few!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor shed! Yes, I'd buy a ticket--several, in fact--and I'll bring the spam...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like the Abergelephant. Entertaining as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha! How do you know when an elephant's been in your fridge?

    Footprints in the butter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great fun read especially the narration of a trampling elephant and then the intruder innocently squatting on its haunches to pick off plums. Marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no! Where will Cad hide from Ada now? And yes, I'd LOVE to see the Flying Circus! May I get some albatross?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! I miss the flying circus boys.

    Spam, spam, spam, spam.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanted to write for this week's Magpie Prompt too, but couldn't get around to doing it because of the festivities. This one was a fantastic read, made me smile wide on a busy Friday morning :)

    Cheers,
    Arnab Majumdar on SribbleFest.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. (I swear I left a comment- oh dear!) What a great piece! especially the plums. I had a friend and my husband report they had both seen one of my small Shetland ponies standing on his hind legs to eat apples off the tree in their paddock! A feat I would love to witness-

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic poem that my granddaughter would love to hear at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is fantastic.... I could picture the elephant's glee...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the same plum-eating pachyderm may have broken the fruiting branches off my tree. The shed is still standing, though. It must not be as tempting as Caddoc's!

    ReplyDelete