Monday 4 October 2010

The Poetry Bus, October 4th

The prompt, this week from NanU was:-

Happiness

Yes, I remember Happiness -
the word, because one afternoon
when I was seventeen, my Mam said
“A girl can’t leave her Mam too soon.”

Not “said”, “hissed.” Ada jumped for joy
and ran to pack her little case,
met her beau from the motor trade.
He lived in Rhyl, a smashin’ place.

A week, a month, two months went by
I learned to cook and wash and dry
the dishes while he sold old cars
to any punter who passed by.

And for those months my young heart sang
till came the day he said in jest . .
“Why not go dancing on your own . .  “
Caddoc was there. You know the rest.

8 comments:

  1. That's just what I was thinking around 17. Happy to have you on the Bus today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ada - Dirty Dancing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good sense of where we are in this. And it feels like Nowhere!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me more! I likes this Mrs Trellis.Always leave them wanting more!

    What do points make? Prizes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of She's Leaving Home by The Beatles - didn't the girl in that song run off with a man in the motor trade? Car salesmen get all the fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, you've captured that feeling of youth kicking over the traces so well. I like this poem, and the departure from the ever-present etheree!
    ViV, still in UK and waiting for taxi to airport!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter G. Of course it reminds you of The Beatles! Where d'you think the idea and the line came from? Liverpule is only just up t'road from Abergele, look you. (Psssttt . . . nobody - so far - has spotted the Edward Thomas influence.)

    ReplyDelete