Sunday 24 October 2010

The Poetry Bus Challenge, 25th. October

Argent's interesting prompt sought poems about "Meetings"


Name Dropping


Biggles I met at the Llandudno fete
in '64. He took me on a flight of fancy.
Man, oh MAN, I fancied him, his leather
airman's helmet gracing his airman's head.
But I digress. Dick Barton, Sherlock Holmes,
some footballer whose name I now forget,
all these from time to time became my friends,
Ill Met by Moonlight or at day's High Noon.
Jimmy Stewart, Marilyn, two comics
who wore bowler hats - Quarrell? And Hardly?

I can't escape them even in my dreams.
General de Gaulle (what a monstrous ego),
explained he won the war all by himself,
a feat he claimed was worth a Croix de Guerre
or two. We were dream lovers. Didn't last -
I swapped him for the Ghost of Christmas Past!

Not too many people know that Linbergh
landed first near Abergele. He stopped
by to say "Hello", or was it "Hiya,
Ada!" (being a Yank, you see). There is
no end to famous well-knowns I have met,
even The Man Who Never Was. A pet
he was, or was it never was?  I bet
I've known a lot more famous names than you -
But youth and youthful popularity
were thrown away on Caddoc!  Pity me . . .

11 comments:

  1. There's a great fun spirit to this well put-together poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs T you can't blame poor old Caddoc for everything.... or can you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Secrets are coming out!
    While planting sprouts,
    or pottering in my garden shed,
    with a head full of dreams,
    there she was, it seems, hobnobbing
    with the rich and famous,
    robbing me of her company,
    monogamy forgotten.
    How rotten for poor me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if he's REALLY responsible for everything, but I'm enjoying the bashing LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling that Quarrell and Hardly accurately sums up Ada and Caddock! Great fun poem, as usual, very enjoyable.
    ViV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fun! Thanks for this. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ada,
    When I see the name of Charles Lindbergh dropped so carelessly by you, I will have to ask Caddock if 'Slim' 'Lucky Lindy', who sometimes used the name "Kent", landed not only near Munich or Baden Baden but in 'Wales' too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness you don't live in LA, where I've known people to actually talk like that! Name (plonk!) after name. Frabjous fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ada, today you MUST have a look on www.youarewittyandpretty.blogspot.com - your in for a big surprise. (And by all means try to hide it from Caddoc!) Britta

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh lordy- blame Caddoc! Hilarious read

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess Caddoc's shoulders are broad enough to take a little blame without buckling! I bet they could rival Charles Atlas aftre 40 years...

    ReplyDelete