Sunday 17 October 2010

Another Trip on the Poetry Bus

For this week's prompt, NanU asks poets to abandon their usual writing den for pastures new, so to speak, and there - produce their poem - which I do now, with apologies to Mr. Percy Bysshe Shelley,(*) whose original you can find HERE.

Wishful Thinking

I met a poet from nearby Colwyn Bay
Who said: A small, dilapidated Shed
Stands in Abergele. There, amongst clay
pots, his visage battered, pocked, half dead
with wrinkled skin and look of worn dismay
sulks Caddoc banished from the nuptial bed
and mocked in Blogland by a Demon Wife.
"Full forty b***dy years of married strife"
he sighs.
                Beyond his rhubarb bed, berries
of deadly nightshade grow, deep purply red.
She culls - but only when the Moon is up
so no one sees the Demon at her toil
with mortar, pestle. Soon the ooze of oil
drips into Caddoc's bedtime Horlicks cup . . .

(*) I thought Bysshe was a real dumb name till I learned
that some recently dead pop-singer called one of his children "Blanket"




13 comments:

  1. I dunno, I think I'd rather be a Bysshe than a Percy (cue Simon and Garfunkel)
    Great satire, this, and more difficult than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this reminds me of the Magic Roundabout - "Belladonna is my name
    I am a deadly nighsshade flower
    And I will not be content
    Till all the Herbs are in power."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caddoc, we have a nice big shed and rhubarb bed, when you need a haven.....

    This is a really well-written poem, Ada, but isn't it time you forgave him and Abergele?
    ViV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind lady Vivinfrance...
    Your offer of a nice big shed,
    complete with comfy rhubarb bed
    is tempting to someone who's led
    a sheltered, if unhappy life,
    with one who causes him such srife...

    If only I had a passport...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you're not Mad Aunt Bernard?

    Wow! You really do keep track?

    We had a Horlick's cup as a souvenir of our t rip to England back in the 70s.

    I don't think Percy could complain; you've done him justice.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs T...I found this quote and thought of you...

    The soul that has conceived one wickedness can nurse no good thereafter.

    SOPHOCLES, Philoctetes


    Oh, dear! What can one say to that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this Ada, clever and funny. I enjoyed it so much I'm not going to spoil it by looking at the original.It couldn't be as good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've recently learned that Bysshe is actually a variant of the English surname, Bush, meaning one who lives near a bush... and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

    Intriguing poem, there, Missy Lou. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ada,
    if you feed poor Caddoc the right amount of "Naughty Man's Cherries" (yes - that is one of the many synonyms for Deadly Nightshade - why, I ask myself, why that tag??; and when I read that it became very rare in England, I ask myself again: why, who used it up??) - he will no longer be able do write anonymously to you, his "Bella Donna". He adores you, Ada - so think twice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caddoc is a peach, the things i'll bet he could teach, But available he is not, Stuck with Ada is his lot!

    ReplyDelete