Tuesday 22 February 2011

Have We Missed The Bus?

Ill Met In Amber

Like we two, these ants
are fencing face to face...
How similar we are,
an ill assorted brace.

Could we melt the resin
that keeps couples apart
just out of kissing distance
Ada, my dearest heart?

See! One ant is jumping.
He's keen to reach her arms.
All his insect instincts
have fallen for her charms.

Those two can no more move;
they're frozen fast in time.
But we, through care and love,
can make our hearts entwine.

120 Socks is driving The Poetry Bus this week - are we too late for tickets?!

Too late for tickets? Oh, my!  Thank goodness I, Ada have learned how to sabotage one of Caddoc's posts, in order to give MY side of the story!

Caddoc, will you never learn, my man?
Like the formic acid ants dispense,
all this talk of kissing distance stings
my acerbic wit, and makes but little sense.

Insect instincts are not ones I know
well, for in the main, all of mine agree
it's best to keep your eager arms at bay,
not let them close enough to reach for me!

For then I too, might end up trapped within
your sugar syrup words, with no escape,
like the ants entombed in amber resin!
The very prospect sets my mouth agape... 

8 comments:

  1. True love ... on the Poetry Bus too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, Caddock! What did you do that changed you to a soft puppy?
    But, I do envy you, I think (I did see the picture of Ada considering purity) but unlike you, I was married to the ant in the resin. She looked OK but acted dead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the joy of true love, pity we can't just freeze all the good bits, but it would probably not be as interesting that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great responses though I do think Ada is rather harsh. I think she's just pretending disinterest;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Stafford - Cad, you're just turning into quite a softy! Love the poem. Isn't it true
    that sometimes we're encased in amber even now? Let's get moving, shall we?

    Or not (wrote the above comment before I saw Ada's response). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem with the picture of the ants in amber touched my heart. I really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Shucks it is true love after all.

    ReplyDelete