Tuesday 16 August 2011

Heaven's Above?

Surely this is a picture to strike fear into the hearts of all DIY enthusiasts everywhere! 

This week,  Magpie Tales, thanks to Tess, has spotlighted another glorious episode in the Life and Times of the indomitable Ada and Caddoc Trellis.  Recently, a sudden bout of Make Over Fever hit the Trellis household when Ada raised her eyes - not to Heaven - but the ceiling! Which is what some Brits, and particularly Welsh Brits, call their 'Top'. 

Ada, on her back in bed, muttered "When he comes in from his shed, I'll say 'Cad, this top needs doing.' Then he'll know there's trouble brewing."
Unsuspecting, in walks Cad.
   "My basil's looking not half bad, my love!" he calls, and bounds upstairs where Ada, from her store of stares chooses her stoniest.
   "Right, my lad, a brilliant idea I have had! You're now a decorator's mate. We have a room to decorate!"
Caddoc sighs, begins to wallow in thoughts of what is soon to follow. But Ada sugar-coats the pill.
   "When it is done our bedroom will look like a Turkish knocking shop. And then I'll keep you on the hop! Wallpaper won't be all you'll strip... so hasten on a 'Homebase' trip. Here's a list of what we need - and get you back at topmost speed!"

It's best the next week be glossed over. For sure, it was no bed of clover as Caddoc, teetering on a ladder while Ada pasted paper, had a sneaky, hovering premonition that other rooms in poor condition would soon be added to a list where 'Ada's Mark' could not be missed... But paint and paper once renewed, the busy pair stood back and viewed their spruced up boudoir with delight, and so relived their wedding night.

28 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhh! Life in the old decorating-dogs yet, then! Poor Cad....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a spirited pair! I love reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he was finally rewarded! :) But I'm sure he does have other rooms to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny...I like Ada's sense of humor (or not!) and also her personality. I can relate to her, that's for sure. Cad seems like he is too willing to please. Is Ada the boss of the family? Who got their way "in the paint" anyway? Cad might be smarter than we think!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'her store of stares' - frightening. It had a happy ending, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, to be a fly-on-the-wall in that household! More episodes soon, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just hope you weren't wearing your rollers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delight on their wedding night. Great Magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do I suspect their wedding night wasn't made in Heaven either?!! I loved "Ada from her store of stares chooses her stoniest"! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tales of marital mayhem keep me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "from her store of stares chooses her stoniest." - I love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I have a feeling the wedding night was full of terror and regret.

    But, I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oy, hope it was a night worth reliving...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always a wonderful poetic story - brilliant!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would someone like Ada really refer to "a Turkish knocking shop"? But who am I to nitpick my way through this hilarity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very amusing ! thanks for visiting-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha what a fun read...and I liked how you rhymed it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ms. Westenra . . Lucy . . I'm always ready to call a spade a spade. Our boudoir is what Caddoc and I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 'viewed their spruced up boudoir with delight, and so relived their wedding night.'

    I like this! Such a sweet thing to end up with. It may happen to couples madly in love with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved it and enjoyed every bit!! Wished there was more.
    The characters of Ada and Cad are so lovable. Ada sounds so poetic and even speaks in rhymes!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What? Ada and Cad getting up to no good?
    I am disgusted. And they say that hard work does away with all such ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Greetings from Finland. This, through a blog is a great get to know other countries and their people, nature and culture. Come take a look Teuvo images and blog to tell all your friends that your country flag will stand up to my collection of flag higher. Sincerely, Teuvo Vehkalahti Finland

    ReplyDelete
  23. Does Cad drive a bus for a living? smiles

    ReplyDelete
  24. Goodness! Look what's been going on here since I last visited... Paint and paper everywhere?

    But some things never change - for underneath it all the old cracks will remain! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am happy to have come upon you! Wow, you write well. This was a thorough joy and pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Are you telling me that on your wedding night you had to repaper the room before she let you.... um into bed?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good heavens! You've got time and energy for 'the other' when you've finished decorating - my admiration knows no bounds.

    ReplyDelete