Sunday 19 August 2012

Sink Or Swim?

Detail from a painting by Adolphe Valette
Caddoc stood atop the wall like Humpty, poised before the fall. He watched the river waters flowing and as he watched his fear was growing, for mists and fog rolled from the sea and the river rose past six foot three - a depth that caused him great concern.  You will not be surprised to learn that Caddoc is but five foot seven, a gratis ticket straight to heaven were he to plunge into the spate to rescue Ada from her fate where barges bobbed, moored to the bank... it's no surprise that his heart sank as Ada broke the surface, frowning.  Her crumpled Caddoc watched her drowning - or so he thought.  But I declare! Upholstered Ada sports a pair of built-in, buoyant swimming aids,  denied to men but not to maids... They stop her sinking in the brine.  "Now pull me out, you daft Welsh swine!"

Thanks to Tess at the Mag 131 for inspiring this little fol-de-rol.

22 comments:

  1. oh no....i think you are in a bit of trouble for not following her in...haha on the built in flotation device....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! And a wonderful tidbit it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha... thank goodness for boobs! Made me chuckle ..Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh and clever = good writing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unthinkable that she was unsinkable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice twist! I laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can always count on you and Ada for a jolly good laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh hilarious! Helen is right- this is a jolly good giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I don't Ada for being a bit miffed. k>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ada does not so easily sink ! , Harry Holt she is not

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Beatles were right..... "Oblahdee, oblahdah, Life goes on bra!" I always wondered what the song was talking about. It was a clue. Thank you for the clarification, Trellisimo, and I'm so glad Ada will be back for another adventure. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buoyancy aids? I always find mine weigh me down, but that's just bragging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL at Linda - and at you. Very funny, but I agree with Little Nell - I don't actually feel all that bouyant :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i was gonna focus in on this, but then i started writing about everything there...good job sticking to your guns

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your sense of humor and your writing is uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am surprised that Caddoc is 5 ft. 7...so appealing. I was gasping for breath at your graphic take...would hate to lose Ada. Fat chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe Caddoc can grow or shrink at will - perhaps he has a toadstool, like the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland, or a bottle which says "Drink me!"...My memory is a trifle indistinct on the details...
      I'm sure on some occasions, he could reach six foot, if he so desired... "Where there is a will, there's way!"

      Delete
  17. LoL.....This will sure to be one of my favourite adventures from our happy couple - and I can connect with that Ada 'buoyancy' feeling/problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is super - love it!

    ReplyDelete