Thursday 12 January 2012

Laughable?

Poetry Jam's request that we have a good laugh this week, reminded me of this video. Listen and look carefully, and you may spot a young Ada, both serious and laughing, as she mimics Brittania whilst the gentlemen serenade her...


Then you can sing along to the chorus with these alternative words...

Song For Ada

"Rock me, Mama like a waggon wheel,
rock me Mama any way you feel "-
I'm your Caddoc and sure, I'm real!
Oh Mama!
(plinka-plinka-plink-plink)

Dig my potatoes and trim my leeks -
be the perfect lady love that I seek.
You can pluck my banjo any day of the week
Oh Mama!
(winka-winka-wink-wink)

Let's forget the warring and call a truce-
trip the light fantastic 'til we both turn puce
and need to drink a gallon of orange juice.
Oh Mama!
(drinka-drinka-drink-drink)

And if you want to see/hear the original lyrics for comparison, here they are!

12 comments:

  1. Well, I enjoyed that little foray into C&W - that tune will be going round in my head for hours!

    I like your version;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter listens to this song, though I've never seen that video. I think I like it better without the side-show girls dancing around, but it does make me want a bra with tassels.

    I like your lyrics--well done! You can't go wrong if you are using double entendre with vegetables IF you've got your sense of humor along....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goog thing I wasn't drinking orange juice when I read this, or it might have come out my nose!! You are hilarious!!!!......:-):-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spin on marital commitment rocked me like a waggon wheel, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pity Caddoc spotted her before I did! Great laughs here>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this was definitely fun! I enjoyed the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw The Old Crow Medicine Show at Cambridge Folk Festival in 2005. They were terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great laugh indeed... as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha. Loved the video (and those white boots at the end). And I have never been to a fair like THAT! I bet Ada has some interesting stories to tell...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fun piece! Enjoyed the read =3

    ReplyDelete