Sunday 19 September 2010

Renewal of Vows After 40 Years

Has it really been that long
that we aren't put asunder?
How do I put up with you?
That's what I often wonder.
Have you not learned in forty years
to keep your Welsh hands to yourself?
You can get stuff to keep you calm
free on the National Health.
Get out to your garden shed
or do some DIY.
And don’t come in with muddy boots.
And never ask me why
I’m such a crabbed old battleaxe.
I’ve lived with you too long!
TWO THOUSAND weeks ago it was
when life went badly wrong.
All veiled in white, my Mam in tears
The Best Man reeling drunk
The darling bridesmaids rioting.
I knew that I was sunk.
And when I think there’s more to come . . .
I must try to be brave.
Perhaps, with Fortune on my side
I’LL dance upon YOUR grave.

12 comments:

  1. My dancing days you have curtailed,
    - look at my Concret Boots!
    But somehow, o'er life's seas we've sailed
    and even put down roots, here in Abergele,
    where time has quite stood still.
    To me you're just as lovely
    as the day you said "I will".
    The problem is, you wouldn't!
    Lord knows I've often tried...
    But, now, maybe I couldn't?
    That cannot be denied...

    ReplyDelete
  2. entertaining! possibly only to be read at a wedding where everyone feels very secure in themselves and appreciates a joke!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs T great minds think alike ! I've just done a post about my wedding, though your last line may be considered in poor taste, as my Mr died in 2000 - but I have to admit to our having been divorced in 1992 - make of that what you will...

    ReplyDelete
  4. nobody likes muddy boots,
    love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful ... every line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh. Nice rhymes and love the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. Your kindness gives me the strength to carry on. 40 years is the "Ruby Anniversary" is it not? "And what's your good woman worth?" I asked him. "Proverbs 31/10, look you."

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S . . . and do you know what the old b****r replied! "Proverbs 31/7!" he said and wandered off to his shed to do some potting.
    I went straight to the Good Book . . . just wait till he comes in!
    "Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more."

    ReplyDelete
  9. And they say 'Romance is dead' Ha loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such a way with words. Forty Years!!! Seems like a lifetime :)

    ReplyDelete