Monday 27 February 2012

Shopaholic Versus Alcoholic?

Caddoc closed his calloused fist
upon a crumpled shopping list
and glared at stacked up tins of soup.
“Why am I always such a noop
who tries  unfailingly to follow
Ada’s law, though hard to swallow…
(unlike her cans of Campbell’s soup
made from chickens) Could I stoop
to crafty levels?
Be a wild, rebellious devil?
Buy the beer I’ve lately missed?
I’d promise I would not get p*****
by drinking all the tins at once.
I was never such a dunce
that I could not slake my thirst
without succumbing to the worst
fate that ever mankind knew-
intoxication from a brew
of hops and other heady potions
designed to give a fellow notions...”

But once back home Cad was surprised.
Things were not as he'd surmised.
His Ada said "I'm tired of tea.
You've something stronger there, I see.
So why don't we two share a tinfull?"
(More than that she'd think was sinful.)
They sat, drank, giggled at the telly,
the merriest pair in Abergele,
till Ada looked at Cad askance,
decided she would take a chance,
"You've fuelled my ardour with one can.
So get upstairs, you norty man!"

In her Mag 106, Tess has brought our attention to the delights of shopping for well known cans of soup...All of which caused Caddoc's and Ada's minds to wander...

26 comments:

  1. Loved this made me smile and on a Monday Morning !!! thank so9 much for such a witty share x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Ada is always full of surprises! Can't wait to hear what she's got planned for Cad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.... In for a bit of hanky panky eh!
    Gosh... what a can of soup will do to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good that you took a stand...cheers, and Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long was that can sitting on the shelf? Intoxicating effects. Ada must be out of her mind~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wandering is good for the soul ~ down with chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Cad was able to comply

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that Cad had it planned all along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they always have said that soup is good for everything! Hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  10. It used to be cocoa that coursed through their veins! I’ll never look at that can of soup in quite the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe...a hot time in the old town tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should be able to hear my chuckles, in Abergele. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First belly laugh I've been guilty of for yonks. Than you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little of what you fancy does you good . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. This life in rhyme is always good for a laugh. Will Cad survive Ada's onslaught? HeeHee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious again, Trellis! Sure, things can happen with just one can. Wonder what happens if there were 2 cans!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol, as we say in the States 'WooHoo!'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let the havoc begin...thanks for the visit!
    no more word verification!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Something tells me Ada would have reacted no differently to tea. Poor Cad, she's a wily one, that Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know what I like best? Your opening line...

    ReplyDelete
  21. if that's all it took I'd have been in the chicken noodle years ago!
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wandering minds are the finest brew!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey! Hey! This will be one of my Cad and Ada favourites for a good while! The story bobbed along beautifully and I sometimes forget there's a 'you' behind them! Thanks for the giggle...x

    ReplyDelete
  24. HA! Canned heat, indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete